Thursday, September 1, 2011

September

September has dawned hot and humid.
Forecast calls for a high today of 101 F.
 Low tonight is only to be 80F.
We are still in Summer.

Clowns decorate our house in September.
I do love them.

We have a bit of 
Backyard Naturalist activity started.

We have a few inside caterpillar habitats
set up. I have begun our notebooks for 2011.


My husband found the Monarch caterpillar
while weeding this morning.



I found our second Monarch
chrysalis while looking for Black Swallowtail
caterpillars in the Queen Anne's Lace.


We have two Black Swallowtail caterpillars.
One is feeding on fennel the other feeding on Queen Anne's Lace.
It will be interesting to see if the different host plants
create any difference in the butterflies.

There was an Orange Dog, the caterpillar for
the Giant Swallowtail, on the Garden Rue I cut
 for a herb bouquet for the kitchen.

We have begun our Autumn cleaning.
While I hunted for caterpillars my husband washed the windows.
Our roses looked as pretty from the outside of the windows
as they do from the inside.
I spotted a new fig growing on one of our fig trees.
Perhaps I will be able to harvest a few before critters get them.

My theme for September this year is Harvest Home.
Each day we will harvest from our gardens.
Today we will harvest more brussels sprouts.
For supper we will have a garden stir fry with potatoes, onions
carrots and our good brussels.

Each day in September holds a gift.
I am looking forward to untying the ribbons.
Happy September.

2 comments:

  1. We are having the same weather here Sherry. Sure does grate on the nerves. Still no rain here. We are breathing dust. UGH.. Your cats will be fun to watch. Would love to see your notes about them. Love your photos. Happy September anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sherry,

    It is wonderful that you have created habitat for the caterpillars. I will be so interested to see them develope. I have seen a few butterflies today....although they just passed through it was so lovely to see them :)

    A mist hung over the garden yesterday and this morning. There was a chill in the air.
    The days have been pleasantly warm, around 75F.
    These are golden days.......

    ReplyDelete